Floss in My Easter Basket

My parent's Easter Bunny is very practical. She fills our baskets with floss, toothpaste, and refills of our current allergy medication while we hunt for eggs in the backyard (we "kids" are nearing our 30's). Yet under all this practicality is hidden an Easter magic woven from years of family tradition. My family's gathering tales remind me of my favorite Easter story, The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes (Du Bose Heyward, illustrated by Marjorie Flack).

As mother to 21 little bunnies, one would think this Mother Bunny would have very little time to apply for the job of Easter Bunny. But with the help of those baby bunnies, she shows us that persistence, courage, kindness (and a little seasonal magic) can take us farther than we ever thought we could go. Written in 1939, the illustrations and morals are every bit as wonderful today and worth making a part of your family's traditions. Now, if we could all have 21 helpful baby bunnies . . .

Some other favorites for your Easter baskets:

The Golden Egg Book (Margaret Wise Brown)
(An old story, sweet pictures)

Chicken Sunday (Patricia Polacco)
(For elementary-age children, an Easter-time friendship tale)

The Easter Egg (Jan Brett)
(One of the best new Easter books I've seen in years)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mockingbird . . . I wonder

The Last Unicorn: Collecting Immortality

Arnie, My Doughnut, My Hero